Thursday, May 11, 2006

I've been reading Elizabeth Brewster lately. I find myself going back to her poems frequently, often feeling at home in them. I've got a copy of vol. 2 of her collected poems and I highly recommend it.

For the purposes of our wonderful circle, however, I thought maybe the following would be appreciated/useful/thought-provoking/etc.

On Reading Another Poet by Elizabeth Brewster

I think we are being given the same messages
that oracles are speaking in our dreams
warning admonition code
syllables of unknown meaning.

We are not in competition.
If I say the same thing
it is not because I copy
but because the voice says so.

Maybe there will be hundreds of us
like choric echoes.
It will not matter
that the words repeat themselves

so long as what is said
rises like the tide in all our separate waves
and beats upon and shapes the dreaming shore.

The 'dreaming shore'! What a great image (if a bit abstract, hmm?). Rather than capitulating to the restrictions of language, this poem encourages us to explore 'our separate waves.' What it has to say about voice and echoes of words is interesting. Especially meaningful for me is the line "We are not in competition." What do you think?

4 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger kaleidoscope said...

Heather, I was particularly caught by "Maybe there will be hundreds of us / like chronic echoes. / It will not matter / that the words repeat themselves"
And I think there are hundreds of us! In Poets Talk each interview intends to talk a bit about the writer's involvement in writing/artistic communities and how the energy of those communities and the support from same contributes to the poet's work and to POETRY on a larger scale. The CCC does this for me. (Are the two of us going to get together this week? I emailed you, but I have found my account has been unreliable of late.)

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger heatherNC said...

I agree, the CCC does that for me, too. I can't wait for another CCC meeting (well, I can wait because I must). Are we still talking about starting up again the end of this month?

And I do hope to get together with you this week (I've been helping my aunt move . . . long story! . . . and haven't been able to check email for a bit). I'll send an email today and see what happens.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger kaleidoscope said...

Yeah, whenever Arion Dolphin Henderson gets back from Rome. Aren't we a worldly bunch? I must still get to work on the epic music project...

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger heatherNC said...

As must I. *audible sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home